Please follow preparation instructions for your procedure as listed below. If no procedure or instructions are selected, there are no special preparations required or your test.
- Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 a.m. (midnight) the night before the exam. (GI series only)
- Take one dose of castor oil at 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. the day before your exam. (Applies only to IVP, Small Bowel Series, Small Bowel Only.)
- For your convenience, plan to have a light evening meal (5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.)
- For all scans with contrast: morning scans, no food or liquids after midnight. For afternoon scans, you may have a light, clear liquid breakfast.
- For abdominal scans, please plan to be at the hospital one hour before exam time to drink the oral contrast, a milkshake - type drink with dye.
- For pelvic scans, please plan to be at the hospital one to two hours before exam time to drink the oral contrast, a milkshake - type drink with dye.
- Start at lunch the day before the exam, have only clear liquids (water, tea, coffee) until bedtime.
- Take one dose of over-the-counter laxative at 2:00 p.m. & another at 4:00 p.m.
- Drink 8 ounces of fluid hourly before bedtime. Try to drink at least one quart.
- No foods or liquids after midnight the night before the exam.
- At 5:00 a.m. on exam day, take a FLEETS enema (found at your local pharmacy) and follow directions.
- For morning scans, no food or liquids after 12:00 a.m. (midnight) the night before the exam.
- For afternoon scans, no food or liquid for four to six hours before the exam.
- No pain medications four hours before the exam.
No food, liquids, or chewing gum after 12:00 a.m. (midnight) the night before the exam.
- No dietary restrictions.
- Please drink 40 ounces of water one hour before the exam and do not urinate until after the exam.
- Preparation Document: Download